Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

How we met Mozart and Carroll

H a P p y  B i R t h D A y ! !

Today is Mozart's birthday (1756-1791). I just happen to have learned somewhat recently to truly appreciate classical kinds of music... (thank you Charlotte Mason and Ambleside Online for teaching us a love for great music!  I'm just sorry that I haven't always listened to this music since early in childhood)

Mozart is on the AO rotation for Composer Study coming up in 2011, and I can't wait!         Here are the selections: (the following information is taken from this page, click here for more links)
2011-2012 TERM 1 - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (early classical)
Listening selections for this term:
Eine Kleine Nacht Musik
Requiem [A Vocal work]
Symphony no. 41 in C major (Jupiter)
Sinfonia Concertante
Piano Concerto no. 21 in C major (K.467) Mozart-Archiv has free mp3 downloads of all Mozart's works; the main page is in German and offers eight identical servers, but I can only get 4 and 5 to work.



It's Lewis Carroll's birthday too! He lived from 1832-1898. Our favorite books by him are Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass (AOy3). Reading the book was WAY better than watching the Disney film, which is all the exposure I had had previous to AO ;)  This one in particular, Hammy read aloud to the boys a couple of years back.  We had a lot of laughs!  Like at this part:
Which road do I take?"
"Where do you want to go?"
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter.”



If it hadn't been for homeschooling, we may never have had an intimate acquaintance with either of these two men. I'm so glad that we have. I'm very much loving learning right alongside my kiddos!  Yay, for lifelong learners!

Other Helpful Links:
Poets.org - Lewis Carroll page

Image borrowed from fromoldbooks.org

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

I love learning along side Jemimah as well! Yay for AO and CM indeed!!

Happy Birthday to these two esteemed gentlemen from us.

MarshaMarshaMarsha said...

lifelong learners... that's what my goal is too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive