Search This Blog

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Free e-books of interest

As for that Weekly Planning post that is pending, I have it all written up, I promise, but it's pretty late now tonight, and my beloved awaits, so I'm off to bed.  I'll get it up here in the next few days.  I've really been enjoying blogging daily at my personal blog A Pilgrim's Project.  This weekend I put together a whopper of a post about the kids' trip with Micah up the river.  It was a nature study enthusiast's dream.  Pop over there to see some of the pictures.  I'll be posting some of the pictures of things they found in the next weeks.



But for today, I've found a couple of AWESOME links today for freebies that I just have to share...

HomeschoolFreebieOfTheDay.com is offering the following e-book divided up over the next week (you have to go there each day in order to get the whole book):

THE GIANT HANDBOOK OF NATURE STUDY
This is Anna Comstock's Handbook of Nature Study - THE book for Nature study!
This is a HUGE (940 pages) and absolutely wonderful
teaching guide full of hundreds of nature study lessons, 
activities and discussion questions. It is a complete
multi-year nature study curriculum that you can use
for years to come. It is so big (over 100 megs in size)
we had to divide it into six manageable ebooks for you.

And I found through a link my friend Jimmie had put up, these cool web books FREE ONLINE!  There is a whole series of these "You Wouldn't Want to be a..." books by David Salariya.  I saw this series of books in a bookstore here in Peru in Spanish and ALMOST bought the one called, You Wouldn't Want to Be an Inca Mummy!: A One-Way Journey You'd Rather Not Make because it looked like so much fun.  I may have to go back and see if they're still there when we get back to civilization in March.  Until then, I'm thinking we're going to explore the FREE ones online!  I'm excited. I don't even care if they are TWADDLE!  So there.  :)



Here's the one I found in Spanish.
I thought would make a fun one
to have around the house
here for guests and such.
Oh and just for fun, I found an article that is great support of homeschooling and socialization...
Despite what many might believe, a vast majority of home-schooled children say they have plenty of opportunities for socialization with other children and, as adults, come to excel in all measured areas of adult life, according to a new study.



2 comments:

Alesha H said...

Hi Amy! I have a question for you. (I am making my list of books I want to bring from the States). Do you use the electronic version of the Handbook of Naturestudy or real paper version? Currently I have it on my Kindle, but I'm having trouble skipping around to the part I want in it. Maybe there is a more navigatable version than the one I have, though. Hmm. Any thoughts/Reccomendations would be appreciated! :)

amyinperu said...

@alesha_h, hi! i have the GIANT hardback version. though i don't use it SUPER often (maybe monthly? but mostly as my own reference), i am very glad to have the real book. that said, i know you have to prioritize if you're talking about international travel and it is one BIG book... so, you'll just have to see. you may want to take only those books back that you can't get electronically. sometimes those decisions are so hard!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive