Search This Blog

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Survey of Fisher Academy Int'l Teaching Home

1) Are you the worst homeschool teacher you know?

Or do you feel pretty confident in what you are doing?

On a scale of 1-10, I think I'm probably about average. Although I'm strong in some areas: organization and creativity and some others; I am also keenly aware of my weaknesses: self-discipline and patience. So, I think I'll put myself about here:

1........................................X......................................10


2) What do you work on the most in your 'classroom'?

Academics or Character Training?

We tend to focus on both, I'm not sure how one would do only one or the other as behavioral issues ALWAYS come up for us while we are doing school. However, I would say that we try to focus on academic but are interrupted so often with behavioral issues that we end up spending half our time on that.

3) What is your chosen method of Homeschooling-- and are you happy

with what you're doing? Charlotte Mason-- Classical-- Textbook--

Unschooling-- Unit Study-- Car Schooling-- Ecclectic -- or something else?
We LOVE what we're doing... Ambleside Online. AO is a Charlotte Mason based online FREE curriculum.


4) How many kids are you homeschooling right now?

We are homeschooling 2 boys (7&8) We teach them everything at the same level at this point. Our 3 1/2 prettypinkprincess is beginning to take interest in preschool type things, but we have not officially started anything with her.

5) Were you homeschooled as a kid?

Nope. Too bad, though. I often asked to be homeschooled.

6) When did you first learn about 'homeschooling' and what was your

initial reaction? (horror? were you skeptical? love at first sight?)

When I was growing up, I had a friend who was homeschooled. I thought it was a little strange, but I was always jealous of all the COOL stuff they had in their schoolroom - rubber stamps, cool pens, card-making stuff, etc. This was my first exposure.

After high school, when I studied to become a professional nanny and realized what it meant to have someone else raise your children, I became anti-daycare and very soon anti-anyone who takes place of mom and dad... as far as what I would do with my own family that is. I vowed to do the best I could with God's help to raise my own future children - not sub them out to anyone. I still didn't have the specific conviction about homeschooling per se, but that was in the works.

When Micah and I came to Peru, I was horrified at the level of education offered in Peru (where we were at at the time in the jungle), even at a private level and we decided together that homeschooling would be our only option. This was new to me, but since I'd been working with my boys then 2 1/2 and 1 1/2 since they were born, it didn't seem that foreign of an idea. I mean I'd taught them a lot since they were born... how hard could it be, right?! hehehehe...

We've come to points where we've really had to discuss it and weigh the pros and cons because of ministry. Homeschooling keeps me at home and so we have had to decide whether to keep on several times. I am not able to really be involved in ministry outside the home as some missionary wives choose to be. But, we both know in our hearts that homeschooling is the very best and as long as God makes it possible we will always choose HOME.

(wow. That there narration almost brings tears to my eyes!)

So, there you have it. The hows and whys of our homeschool in a nutshell. Questions courtesy of JenIG's contest.

Amy


Saturday, July 15, 2006 - Untitled Comment

Posted by JenIG (67.142.130.38)
great answers! thanks for 'playing'
: )

Sunday, July 16, 2006 - Untitled Comment

Posted by hsmomof2 (63.105.27.2)
I enjoyed reading your answers! Every now and then I look at AO and think "yeah, we should do this!" Time to go look again! :-)

Sunday, July 16, 2006 - Untitled Comment

Posted by KarenW (82.79.184.107)
I just posted my answers on my blog too. We are missionaries to Romania. Nice to see there are other missionaries here on HSB.

Monday, July 17, 2006 - Thanks for visiting my blog!

Posted by MrsIncredible (72.49.191.39)
And thanks for your nice comment! I am sure you have had an incredible moment... even if just incredibly FUNNY or incredibly AWFUL! Doen't have to be the day you discovered your children are all samrter than Einstein LOL!
I have enjoyed reading your blog! Can I put you on my friends list?
Jen

Monday, July 17, 2006 - F.A.I.T.H...... What a great name!

Posted by Fiffi (196.211.157.57)
Hi Amy
I was about to tell you how to add music to your blog......but I see you figured it out!!! Good on ya!
That was an interesting read about the why you homeschool!
Maybe I might just do a little blog on similar lines!
Thanks again
By the way...................love the extra tweeking you've done to your blog!
Fiffi

Monday, July 17, 2006 - Hi

Posted by Fiffi (196.211.157.57)
Hi Amy
Have I done any thing illigal?The song that is on my blog ......... is it legal?
I just assumed it was alright!
Please let me know! Thanks
Fiifi

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - Untitled Comment

Posted by Rebeca (70.56.19.205)
Amen! I (personally) think that a woman's family- raising her children and supporting her husband- is such an amazing ministry. I've known way too many kids who have been shipwrecked spiritually because both parents gave their best to ministry and the kids got the scraps.
Erik and I got married with the intention of going overseas in the next year or two (until he got cancer) and we both felt strongly that my ministry would be our family and having people in our home as I was able. Well, I guess that's my ministry here in the States too!
Oh, we're in Oregon by the way. It's our good friends who are in Germany. We hope to go overseas somewhere at some point, but not sure where or when.
I'll stay posted for your contest. If it was a llama I'd do anything to win!
When are you coming back?
Rebeca

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive